Sunday, June 18, 2006

June 18. Dia de los Padres.
I want my baby back, baby back, baby back, baby back ribs....I want my....

It's Fahzahs Day so it must me one thing; RIBS.

Today I used a modified Raichlen basic bar-be-cue rub; I added 1 tsp of mustard powder; split the paprika into 1/2 Sweet Hungarian and 1/2 Smoked Spanish Paprika; 2/3 of the pepper was white pepper; used Jurassic Salt instead of regular Kosher salt.

I also did not add any sauce like the mistake I made last time. Cooked low and slow at 250 degrees for 2.5 hours; mesquite and hickory wood; in the last 30 minutes I brushed them with some Bone Suckin Sauce (non Hot) to keep them moist (they appeared dry...but come to find out, I was wrong).

We had three BBQ sauces to choose from tonight. Some Kansas City Hickory Sauce from bar-be-cues galore, bone suckin sauce, and Sauce Kings Garlic and Habanero BBQ sauce; or to put it mildly, the sweet KC (ketchupy) sauce, the vinegary Carolina sauce, and the HOT stuff. (Sauce Kings is a local concoction I stumbled upon...delicious). These were added at the table.

In a word, these were the most perfect ribs I have ever made. The temp was constant, the smoke was good and evident in the ribs, they peeled off the bone just like they should and they were succulent. I started at 2:20 pm, took them off about 5:15 and ate about 5:40 pm.


1 Comments:

At 3:19 PM, Blogger Juancho said...

Beautiful ribs!
Nice blog.
Keep smokin',
Juancho

 

Post a Comment

<< Home