Friday, June 01, 2007

May 20th - Grilled Pork Tenderloin on a cedar plank with pineapple relish

This was a new dish for me; I had never done pork tenderloin. It was very good and not at all what I expected from a pork cut. It cooked a little too slowly on the cedar plank. So I had to put it directly on the grill after a little while and wouldn't you know it, the tenderloins came out a little overcooked.
A shot before hitting the flame:

On the plank, on the grill. I used some apple wood for the smoke. perfect !


Had to take them off the plank to hasten the grilling time, but not too long. The tenderloin is not a juicy cut and can suffer from overcooking, if you're not careful.


I also grilled some pineapple to accompany the tenderloin. I got some bamboo skewers that were flavored from Target of all places. They were really great (surprise !)



Here is a shot of the finished dish. I also made a waldorf salad to accompany this meal. That was a perfect compliment. The salad was delicious ! There is something about that spinach+blue cheese+carmelized pecans (no walnuts for me)+lemon vinagrette.



As it turned out, this was one of the most unusual dishes I have ever attempted and it was fantastic. I think it would be a real crowd pleaser, as you don't see too many carribean dishes or exotic grilled dishes very often. I guess some consider the addition of the pineapple relish as a tropical dish. The green in the relish was finely chopped basil ! Here is a shot of the ingredients for the relish prior to simmering:

2 Comments:

At 12:01 AM, Blogger bothenook said...

one of the truly great things one can make on a grill: grilled fresh and ripe pineapple.
it's almost magical.

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger bothenook said...

i forgot... since you live in northern california, it should be possible to get your hands on almond wood. let me tell you, if you like pork, or even chicken with a great smoky taste, try a little almond wood. super flavor. i have a couple of branches of almond, apple, pear, and even nectarine wood from various orchards in the area, and experimenting with the different woods has yielded some memorable meals off the grill.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home